PRESIDENT'S AWARD CRITERIA
Nominees for the WSU President's Awards for Leadership are reviewed within the framework of the Social Change Model of Leadership Development. In this model, leadership is viewed as a process rather than a position. The values of equity, social justice, self-knowledge, personal empowerment, collaboration, citizenship, and service are explicitly promoted.
Students will be notified of their nomination and are required to submit a separate application, including two letters of recommendation and answers to essay questions that address the following criteria:
- Significant position(s) or engagement experiences that best illustrate the contributions the student has made to WSU and/or the community.
- The values, beliefs, and actions that have guided the student's own leadership journey.
- Experiences collaborating with others to achieve common goals, motivate others and resolve conflict.
- How these experiences have led to positive change.
These applications, along with nomination information, are scored on a 20-point scale. Scoring is as follows:
- Two letters of recommendation - 5 points
- Record of activities - Up to 5 points total
- Three essay questions - Up to 10 points total
- Maximum Point Total - 20
A completed nomination form is required to nominate a Registered Student Organization, Community Organization, Faculty, or Staff member. Nominees in this category do not have to fill out a separate application to be considered for the award.
While it is not required, we encourage all who nominate to also submit a letter of support for the organization or member of the WSU community they are nominating. Learn more about award category details.