Crimson Leadership VIP
Values, integrity, and purpose serve as the second tier leadership engagement program. Students involved in Crimson Leadership VIP continue their leadership journey through a variety of deeper engagement activities.
Participants will engage with small groups on a variety of topics, including:
- Ethics and Values, Beyond the Status Quo
- Intro into Social Justice
- Real World, Real Impact
Through engagement in panel discussions, service, reflection and experiential education, VIP participants grow in a group setting designed to go deeper into leadership.
- Successful completion of Emerging Leaders program.
- Length: One year, preferably sophomore year
- Time commitment: Approximately 1 - 3 hours per week
Our Program Model
Crimson Leadership VIP is based on the Social Change Model, and the group values of the next three C's of the model:
2. Common Purpose
3. Controversy and Civility
In an effort to enhance student learning and facilitate positive social change, the Social Change Model of Leadership Development was created in 1993 by the Higher Education Research Institute of UCLA. This model emphasizes the need to understand self and others, in an effort to create community change. It is less about the leader and more about the leadership community.
The Social Change Model is based on the following assumptions:
- Leadership is socially responsible, it impacts change on behalf of others
- Leadership is collaborative
- Leadership is a process, not a position
- Leadership is inclusive and accessible to all people
- Leadership is values-based
- Community involvement/service is a powerful vehicle for leadership
Through participation in the Crimson Leadership VIP, students will learn and practice the skills needed to make change in their own lives, community, and the world to become active global citizens.